Your pet is not an emotional support animal

windycityhorn

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Jun 11, 2012
People Are Taking Emotional Support Animals Everywhere. States Are Cracking Down.

The number of people claiming they have a right to live with animals for their mental health — as well as to take them onto planes and into restaurants and stores — has been growing rapidly.

In 2011, the National Service Animal Registry, a for-profit company that sells official-looking vests and certificates for owners, had 2,400 service and emotional support animals in its registry. Now the number is nearly 200,000.

“We’ve seen everything from reptiles to insects,” said Amanda Gill, government affairs director for the Florida Apartment Association, which represents landlords.

“Obviously, you want to accommodate people with legitimate requests, but that’s harder to do when you have so many bogus requests,” Ms. Gill said. “Everyone is recognizing that this is a growing problem right now.”
Skepticism surrounding emotional support animals has increased with their rising numbers, especially at airports, where another law — the Air Carrier Access Act — gives airlines wide latitude over how various creatures are handled. Some airlines refuse to allow hedgehogs, snakes and rodents, along with dogs, into the passenger cabin for flights longer than eight hours. A number of widely publicized incidents — a dog allegedly mauling a passengerand an emotional support squirrel causing an entire flight to deplane — have added to the anxiety over anxiety-soothing animals.

Some people who require Seeing Eye dogs have complained that their animals have been attacked in airports or restaurants by untrained emotional support dogs, and that the explosion in support animals has led to more skepticism of true service dogs.

Last week I saw a woman take a golden retriever into Trader Joe's with her. She had bought a red leash with "support animal" written on it and blithely walked though the aisles, dragging the animal by its leash. The dog was not even a year old and was walking up to people looking to be petted. I wish I had had the guts to call her out in the moment.

jamesrh

Oct 29, 2008
People Are Taking Emotional Support Animals Everywhere. States Are Cracking Down.

The number of people claiming they have a right to live with animals for their mental health — as well as to take them onto planes and into restaurants and stores — has been growing rapidly.

In 2011, the National Service Animal Registry, a for-profit company that sells official-looking vests and certificates for owners, had 2,400 service and emotional support animals in its registry. Now the number is nearly 200,000.

“We’ve seen everything from reptiles to insects,” said Amanda Gill, government affairs director for the Florida Apartment Association, which represents landlords.

“Obviously, you want to accommodate people with legitimate requests, but that’s harder to do when you have so many bogus requests,” Ms. Gill said. “Everyone is recognizing that this is a growing problem right now.”
Skepticism surrounding emotional support animals has increased with their rising numbers, especially at airports, where another law — the Air Carrier Access Act — gives airlines wide latitude over how various creatures are handled. Some airlines refuse to allow hedgehogs, snakes and rodents, along with dogs, into the passenger cabin for flights longer than eight hours. A number of widely publicized incidents — a dog allegedly mauling a passengerand an emotional support squirrel causing an entire flight to deplane — have added to the anxiety over anxiety-soothing animals.

Some people who require Seeing Eye dogs have complained that their animals have been attacked in airports or restaurants by untrained emotional support dogs, and that the explosion in support animals has led to more skepticism of true service dogs.

Last week I saw a woman take a golden retriever into Trader Joe's with her. She had bought a red leash with "support animal" written on it and blithely walked though the aisles, dragging the animal by its leash. The dog was not even a year old and was walking up to people looking to be petted. I wish I had had the guts to call her out in the moment.
We're looking at you Ashely Judd. :mad:

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Good. Much like the disabled blue cards for cars, it's being abused by insecure dooshbags that want to feel special. I once watched a woman take a large dog on a plane for what was to be about a 3 hour flight. Fortunately I was up front, but I can't begin to imagine what it must have been like for whoever was sitting around her. Christ, planes are cramped enough already.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
A lot of people my age got their pets certified because it waves pet fees at apartments and lets them do basically whatever they want

Exactly. It was a great idea when it started. Military vets come to mind. But, per usual, people abuse it to the detriment of those who really need it and doctors hand them out like halloween candy.

futures2015

May 2, 2015
What kind of insect are we thinking provides emotional support? I'm not a bug guy, so if someone is carrying around something that freaks me out, it's gonna infringe on my emotional well-being.
A big. hairy. spider. Like this one.

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
One of my favorite magazine articles of the last few years was Particia Marx for The New Yorker in 2014. She got a doctor's note allowing her to claim as emotional support animals a turtle, a pig, a Mexican milk snake, a turkey, and an alpaca. It's quite funny.

Reactions: TexasPalladin

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
barkingcarnival.fantake.com
A lot of people my age got their pets certified because it waves pet fees at apartments and lets them do basically whatever they want
The fact that anyone can sign up for an animal to provide them emotion support, and that some legislation was passed that wrote that into law, is proof that America is emasculated.

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
barkingcarnival.fantake.com

Did you ask them about emotional support "fish?"

acreativeusername

Nov 27, 2016
The fact that anyone can sign up for an animal to provide them emotion support, and that some legislation was passed that wrote that into law, is proof that America is emasculated.
I get the original intent of the law (veterans, PTSD, etc) but it has gone completely off the rails, which sucks for those who legitimately need them

RepOfTexas

Jan 2, 2009
We're looking at you Ashely Judd. :mad:
Good friend of mine has a great story about her, her mutts and her mom. Long story short, some lady was a bitch to the people mover driver at Dulles because he said she couldn’t put her dogs on the seats. She invoked the ADA. My friend looked it up, she was wrong. She got on the same plane as him. The passenger next to him said Ashley Judd was on the flight, he had no clue who she was. Turns out it was the same lady from the people mover. He said she was a mean person. Some lady overhears and butts in, turns out to be Naomi. He said maybe if she spanked her as a kid she wouldn’t be such a brat. Naomi runs and tells Ashley. They demand an apology. They get to Nashville and Naomi confronts him again and said it made Ashley cry and she wants an apology. He always cracks me up when he tells it.

jamesrh

Oct 29, 2008
Good friend of mine has a great story about her, her mutts and her mom. Long story short, some lady was a bitch to the people mover driver at Dulles because he said she couldn’t put her dogs on the seats. She invoked the ADA. My friend looked it up, she was wrong. She got on the same plane as him. The passenger next to him said Ashley Judd was on the flight, he had no clue who she was. Turns out it was the same lady from the people mover. He said she was a mean person. Some lady overhears and butts in, turns out to be Naomi. He said maybe if she spanked her as a kid she wouldn’t be such a brat. Naomi runs and tells Ashley. They demand an apology. They get to Nashville and Naomi confronts him again and said it made Ashley cry and she wants an apology. He always cracks me up when he tells it.
Sounds like every AJ I've ever heard.