Want daily Texas Longhorns content on the latest team and recruiting information from Eric Nahlin, Justin Wells, Ian Boyd, Scipio Tex, and Joe Cook? Sign up HERE today!
Texas added it’s first hoops pledge today with 6’9 small forward Keeyan Itejere from Grace Christian in North Carolina.
Itejere tells ESPN he has committed to Texas:
“Coach Shaka Smart believes in me and is excited to help me reach my potential as a player and a person.”
From Tim Preston:
Overall, I’d say I dig this take. Never hurts to take flyers on flyers and late bloomers especially when you have the interior recruiting track record Shaka’s had in Austin. I don’t expect this to be the only big in the 2021 class (nor the best, obviously, from a rankings standpoint) and this take does give some ideas of how they are looking to proceed after the impending exodus (Coleman/Sims/Hamm/Brown, at a minimum). Programs need guys like this to fill out a 13 player roster.
After catching some highlights:
- Certainly looks the part (length/defensive timing/explosiveness)
- Will be interesting to see his body fill out even over the next 10 months. If there’s another couple of inches growth, his movement is pretty special at that size.
- His hitch on his load when he shoots is pretty ugly, but the release and follow through suggest decent potential.
- Would have appreciated some clips of his screening (perhaps that’s not a staple of the system he plays in, but still).
- Would also have appreciated some clips of his free throw shooting *shrug emoji*